Saturday 2 May 2009

Childlike Meanderings




In a recent exhibition that I 'invigilated,' I was reading through a book of Utopian theory and ideaology and taking notes on Freuds hilariously out of date views when I started to wonder about personal Utopias yet again. As the basis of my 'world inside shoes,' project The theme of Utopias is one that really excites me. I made a nice collection of other peole havens and dreams and started to build models of these worlds as best I could. I had a particularly successful distopia which I created out of discarded computer parts. This formed an urban skyline which photographed really well. This Utopia is from the mind of my little brother who was 11 at the time. I can only take a smidgen of the credit :)







P.S He was extremely dissapointd that I used a glue gun, in his utopia, everything is stuck together with syrup.







Just for thrills, here's a fantastic artist whose creations always transport me to a personal utopia. Sarah Sze is where I draw a lot of my inspiration from, she is the reason I have spent over £40 on coloured paperclips, and more importantly the reason I have painstakingly twisted each one creating a mass of spiralled coloured wire. I will explain all this at a later date, for now just enjoy the transportation.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Backwaan on Twitter